Updated: Aug 6
with Cafe St Honaré's Chef Neil Forbes.
Prep: 25 min / Cooking: 5 min / Serves: 4
Recipe from: Chef Neil Forbes at Café St Honore
Photo Credit: Paul Johnston at Copper Mango
1kg Shetland blue shell mussels
1 large banana shallot, finely chopped
100ml white wine
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250ml double cream
A small handful of chopped fresh tarragon
A squeeze of lemon (optional)
1. Clean the mussels and remove the beards. (Please scan the QR code for a video about how to do this.)
2. Take a large pot with a lid and place the mussels inside. Add the shallots, wine and garlic.
3. Cook for a few minutes with the lid on until the mussels start to open, then add the cream and the wine and continue cooking until all the mussels are open. (If there are any that haven’t opened, check they are good by prising them open. Otherwise, discard them.)
4. Next, add the tarragon and a squeeze of lemon to the pot, then give the whole lot a shake.
5. To serve, drink with a glass of the same wine you used to cook with, grab finger bowls and serve while steaming hot.