Updated: Aug 6
What is koji and miso? Watch our tell-all video below for full details including a handy cook along!
Prep: 20 min / Cooking: 20 min / Serves: 2 people
Recipe From: Robin Sheriff from The Koji Kitchen
2 tbsp Sichuan Peppercorns
2 tbsp Black peppercorns
4 tbsp White Miso
2 Dried Chillies
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 sheet Nori (you can find in a local Asian supermarket)
1) Deseed the chillies and toast them lightly in a pan before crushing them with a mortar and pestle. Toast and crush the peppercorns
2) Cut 1/8 of the nori sheet into thin slivers and crush the rest into flakes
3) Boil the pasta in salted water
4) Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry the pepper and chilli until fragrant.
5) Drain the pasta, reserving some of the pasta water. Put the pasta in the pan.
6) Make a slurry with some of the pasta water and the miso paste and add to the frying pan. Toss/stir until a silky emulsion starts to form. (If it starts to ‘seize up’, make sure to add a little bit more pasta water. Aim to have a little extra liquid than you would want as the mixture will seize up as it cools.) Add more oil as appropriate
7) To finish, add lemon juice and crushed nori before giving the whole lot a final toss.
8) Divide into two bowls and garnish with nori.