Updated: Dec 16, 2021
Warm the heart and soul with this delicious lamb stew recipe from our friends at Battlefield Rest
Generously provided to us by Battlefield Rest restaurant in Glasgow, this lamb stew is the perfect comfort food to make at home as the weather gets colder. With a rich history in the area, the Italian restaurant has been a landmark since 1994 and continues to serve an excellent variety of high-quality pizza ad pasta with a Scottish twist.
Prep 15 min Cooking time 1 hour 30 min Cooks 6 portions
2 kg diced lamb shoulder
1 diced large white onion
3 diced carrots
400 ml vegetable stock
200g dried apricots (apricots must be
rehydrated in cold water for 24 hours
1 tsp cumin
1 paprika pimiento
1 tsp mild paprika
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and Pepper
Chilli, diced, to taste
Corn our to thicken sauce
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°
2. On the hob, pop the diced lamb in a large cast iron casserole dish (or a frying pan) with touch of olive oil. Add the cumin, paprika, garlic and seasoning, and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the onion and cook for a further two minutes or until the onion starts to become translucent, stirring constantly.
4. Add the vegetable stock and pop in the oven for one hour.
5. Add the carrots and cook for another 20 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
6. Once the lamb is tender, add the apricots and thicken with corn our (gradually add it in tiny amounts until desired thickness is achieved).
7. Season to taste with the chilli.
8. This stew is best served with rice couscous or potatoes.
RECIPE FROM: Battlefield Rest Restaurant